« Home | Another Day Another Doctor » | Not Again » | We Are Back » | Trip To Rio » | Grandmother » | Christmas » | Hello From Brazil » | David's Birthday » | Hello Again » | A Peek Inside The Mind Of An MK (Part II) »

"Coke Is It!"

I don't know if you have ever heard the comparison between Missionaries and Coca-Cola; The thought is "if Coke can do it, why can't we?" Coke is everywhere. It is literally from Timbuktou China and everywhere in between. So all that to say that we had a fun experience relating to Coke. We were trying to get a Coke at the local boutique but we found that it was closed. As we were walking back to our apartment one of the night guards saw me walking with my head hanging (I am a HUGE Coke fan) he said "hey, I can go get you a Coke if you want." My first thought, quite honestly, was that this was somehow a scam. He was going to take my money and run off with it. I gave in and handed him the 700 CFA (about $1.25) and off he went. The other guards pulled up some chairs for us and around the fire and invited to warm ourselves up. We sat there hardly saying a word and understanding even less as these guards had a long discussion about the most recent soccer match (I think). After about 10 minutes the guard who ran off with my money came running back and handed me my Coke. "Wow", I thought as he handed me the drink. Here I thought this guy might be ripping me off and he just wanted to help. We talked to the guards for another couple of minutes then we headed home. So, if Coke can get it's message out why can't we? But more to the point; If that guard can be such a servant (he got me that Coke because he knew I wanted it not for his own gain) then why can't we?